You are here
November 13, 2019
So you’ve finished graduate school – now what? Everyone is welcome to join Language Sciences for this panel exploring careers beyond graduate school, with Drs. Danielle Barkley, Shannon Ward (via Zoom), and Ernesto Peña.
Danielle Barkley earned her PhD in English Literature from McGill University, and currently works as a career development educator at UBC.
Shannon Ward trained as a linguistic anthropologist, completing her PhD in 2019, and is now an Assistant Professor of Anthropology, in the Department of Community, Culture, and Global Studies at the University of British Columbia Okanagan.
Ernesto Peña completed his PhD in 2018, and is now director of research at Charitable Impact, a Vancouver-based financial technology company that operates in the charity sector, as well as an Adjunct Professor in the Master of Educational Technology program at UBC.
If you're not able to make it in-person, never fear! You can view the panel via Zoom video conferencing by using this link.
Our panelists will give their experience and thoughts on their careers after graduate school, with potential panel questions including:
- How did you find your job?
- How did you know what you wanted to do after grad school?
- Are there roles available in academia, or should graduates focus on careers outside universities?
- What can graduates do to improve their chances of landing an academic role? What can they do to improve their chances in the non-academic employment world?
- How did you re-energize/recover after graduating?
- What two things do you think helped in your application to your current role?
- How did you prepare for your interview?
Then, join us for a social event at Koerner's Pub from 4pm. This is an opportunity for graduate students to get to know each other in an informal setting. Everyone is welcome to join this graduate student-focused event.
Please note: Language Sciences will reserve tables only, and will not be able to provide food or drinks.