You are here
Join Language Sciences
Are you studying language in a scientific way? Are you working in language-related areas?
UBC Language Sciences aims to connect scholars, teachers, and researchers working in all areas of the language sciences to create interdisciplinary collaborations that produce and support innovative research. We envision language sciences as a broad, inclusive field, and the Initiative as a local, national, and global network.
If you study or work outside UBC, and don't have a connection with a current member, we encourage you to look through the profiles on our website, including using the Find a Collaborator tool and find a current member to connect and/or collaborate with. Then, tell us about the connection when you fill out our membership form.
Whether you are faculty, a graduate student, a post-doctoral fellow, or a community member, if you are interested in language-related research or work, fill out this handy form and we'll get in touch.
Our mission is to advance scientific understanding of how language shapes our individual identities, perceptions, and interactions, our technologies, and our collective human experience.
What does membership involve?
- Members receive updates on Language Sciences and related activities such as news, events, and opportunities, through a monthly newsletter and occasional emails
- We invite you to create an optional public profile on the website (with the emphasis on optional!)
- We welcome member input into the development of future activities that promote interdisciplinary collaboration and community outreach
- We would love you to own the Language Sciences Initiative: to actively engage as it grows, to create new collaborations, to form long-term partnerships, and to help shape what the Initiative will become
We host and support:
- Researcher networking events
- Funding for collaborative activities
- Interdisciplinary research working groups
- Professional development and networking opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows including the Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Fellow Research Day
- Workshops and seminars on interdisciplinary research topics, industry partnerships, and community engagement
- Funding for graduate student travel to visit research labs
- Knowledge mobilization and translation activities, including media outreach and press releases or stories
- Interdisciplinary curriculum development
Shape the future of Language Sciences
We want to hear from our members: what events would help you collaborate with others? What workshops would broaden your research horizons? What initiatives should Language Sciences invest in? How can we help support your language-related event, workshop, meeting, or activity, including through sponsorship? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find a collaborator
Are you interested in working with someone in your area of research, or better yet, someone working outside your discipline in the same area of interest? Use our Find a Collaborator tool by entering a research keyword and finding other members exploring similar areas of research.
Get social with us