Please fill out and submit the form below to request funding from our Grant for Catalyzing Research Clusters.
Funding requests will be accepted on a rolling basis until the funding envelope has been spent. Requests are capped at $5,000. A decision on your request will be made by the Steering Committee. If you have any questions about this form, or would like assistance drafting your request, please contact Language Sciences at email@example.com.
If preferable, you can download the funding request form as a Word document here and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes on eligibility and reporting:
- LangSci Seed Funding can be used for direct costs of research, such as GRA/UGRA salaries, data collection, honoraria for research participants and consultants, data entry, or stimulus creation
- Funding requests must be for new collaborations and involve at least two Language Sciences members from at least two departments/fields
- We encourage projects that include graduate students and/or postdoctoral fellows as team members, but PIs must be faculty at UBC-V or UBC-O. If you are a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow working with a UBC faculty member who is not a Language Sciences member, please have the faculty member contact email@example.com to become a member
- Stipulations regarding collaborative activities and involvement of multiple departments apply
- If funds are awarded, a written report must be submitted following the activity, detailing how the funds were used and the outcome/s of the activity
- Spending should adhere to the UBC Expenditure Guidelines, especially with regard to per diem rates and Hospitality & Entertainment expenditures. Please contact Ella Fund-Reznicek with questions regarding eligibility and approval of specific expenditures
Teams must involve faculty from at least two departments or from an external partnering entity such as a community group or company.
DOES YOUR TEAM INCLUDE SELF-IDENTIFYING IBPOC TEAM MEMBERS?*
A portion of the total funding envelope will be set aside for teams including IBPOC team members, and projects that promote equity, diversity, and inclusion. Language Sciences understands this to include Indigenous, Black, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and Latinx members.This information will only be shared with Language Sciences staff and the Steering Committee for the purposes of administration and funding decisions. No personal information is required for this application. Language Sciences will publish a public report identifying only the percentage of funding dedicated to projects that promote equity, diversity, and inclusion and/or contain self-identifying IBPOC members. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our anonymous feedback form bit.ly/Langsciform if you have any concerns or comments about this aspect of the application.
Description of Activity
Describe the proposed activity. Include intended outcomes (for example, grant proposals, white papers, reports, learning outcomes, partnerships, non-binding or binding agreements, public events, knowledge translation/mobilization goals).
Narrative Description of Team
Describe the roles each team member will play in this activity. Additional team members may be listed here.
Will this funding be used to leverage other grants? (Y/N; if yes, describe, including specific competition, funding source, and proposal title if possible)